Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Reviews forthcoming

In light of the fact that a) there has been a significant reduction in online / print outlets for music criticism and journalism and b) the pile of discs that need to be reviewed is far greater than there are, for me, places to review them, I'll be putting capsule reviews here.

The purpose is multi-fold: the "to-review" pile will shrink; there will be more content here; and it'll allow me the opportunity to practice writing shortish reviews. I'm not moving the entire reviewing focus to Ni Kantu, nor will this blog be a reviews site. But the nature of Ni Kantu will be changing slightly to offer brief notes on new music (no reissues) as I see it.

I assume I'll be posting small batches once or twice a month, and will try to get something together for next week. Until then, happy listening!


  1. Hey wait a minute...I was just saying that at my damn blog! Have you read Perfume-The Guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanches?

  2. I've heard of it but not read it - obviously it would behoove me to do so, and find a more prosaic way to describe Christian Munthe. Also, via yr blog, thanks for the reminder of the Dixon/Brooks/Sojkowski/Mitchell quartet. I have heard the recordings and they are SICK.

  3. Shrinking review piles? Shortish reviews?
    Welcome in the land of delusional music writers, Cliff!
    I tried a hundred times, in various ways, to do exactly this. Piles are getting higher and reviews are not getting shorter....
    Keep up the great work!

  4. Thanks Max. Problem is the shorter they get, the more like press releases they look. But hopefully the next batch retains a solid, critical feel.