Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summer Splurge

Well, my "parsing EAI" post will have to wait until later as I get through the backlog of Bagatellen/STN/AAJ/Paris Transatlantic reviews, but in the meantime I thought I'd share a couple of short-lists of recordings to check out this year. Last year was the first in memory that I was able to intelligently compile a top ten list of new releases and reissues. It was a good year for both, and not just "good," but actually "excellent," as a slew of fantastic new releases hit the shelves in jazz, free improvisation, experimental and avant-rock. Ditto the reissue market, which seems to be rolling along unabated - even as the download blogs and lack of CD sales run rampant.

I'm looking forward to the new 2 or 3 disc set of Bill Dixon's music on Firehouse12 (look for an interview on All About Jazz in due course) this fall, and similarly can't wait to get my grubby paws on Josh Berman's new disc on Delmark.

But for now, here are some titles that have moved me. Check your local brick and mortar or look up the labels online if you have difficulty finding these titles in your area.

New Issues:
Alexander Hawkins Ensemble "No Now Is So" (FMR)
Rob Mazurek "Sounds" (Delmark)
Joe Morris-Jon Voigt-Tom Plsek "MVP LSD - The Graphic Scores of Lowell Skinner Davidson" (Riti)
Talibam! "Boogie in the Breeze Blocks (ESP-Disk)
Trio X "Live in Vilnius" (No Business)

Reissues/Unearthed Gems:
Dave Bixby "Ode to Quetzalcoatl" (Anthology)
Ted Daniel "Loft Years, Volume 1" (Ujamaa)
Nathan Davis "The Best Of, 1965-1976" (Jazzman)
Sunny Murray "Big Chief" (Eremite)
Sperm "Shh!" (De Stijl)
Splinters "Split the Difference" (Reel Recordings)

Happy listening!


  1. There goes my wallet again :)
    Must admit have gone for the older reissues, The Ted Daniel and that Sperm "Shh!" review looks incredible, gotta have it
    Only one not needed is the Nathan Davis as have all the albums but nonetheless great reissue from Jazzman Records
    Recommend Jazzman's re issue of Ricardo Marrero's "Taste" classic latin gear
    Thanks Clifford

  2. Lucky you to have all the OG Nathan Davis LPs. Passed up a couple in New York shops back when I didn't know any better - $100 a pop for "Happy Girl" and "Rules of Freedom" now seem about right.

    The Murray sounds great - quieter than the original Pathe (though no flipback).

    I have to say, though, that Hawkins' date includes some of the most beautiful & spiritual "new" music I've heard in a long time - specifically the cover of Sun Ra's "Love in Outer Space."

  3. Your making me spend more money lol
    Must admit although am a Brit have yet to hear A Hawkins,I see the album is with Orphy Robinson , someone who have seen many times
    Hopefully they'll do a tour on the strength of a new album